Servers People are Rolling on

Because AoC sucks.

Moderator: pooka-Mishipeshu

Swanea
Private
Private

Servers People are Rolling on

Unread post by Swanea » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:58 am

Anyways, Since I am not choosing for anyone, or deciding what groups do what or anything like that, Ill make a list of the groups/people and what server/server type they are playing on. I think its going to make the game quite a bit less fun broken up so much, but, whatever tickles your pickle.

ILL UPDATE THIS AS I FIND THINGS OUT!!!! Added An open server that I know people on. Look for QM or DapperDan. Mention you know me, and Im sure you will be able to play with them.

Fima/Kahoona/Bardo/Dusturm + other horde
Phoenix Throne - Roleplaying - Core

Krytical + AoD + DV + Some of the Original BOT people
Volkmar - Core

Quietman + RL friends (From apex)
Wolfengien - Open

Feel free to post where you are going, and I can add you to the list for whichever server.
Last edited by Swanea on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

deecon
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Re: Servers People are Rolling on

Unread post by deecon » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:01 pm

Swanea wrote:Anyways, Since I am not choosing for anyone, or deciding what groups do what or anything like that, Ill make a list of the groups/people and what server/server type they are playing on. I think its going to make the game quite a bit less fun broken up so much, but, whatever tickles your pickle.

ILL UPDATE THIS AS I FIND THINGS OUT!!!!

Krytical + AoD + Other people from horde
???? - Open

Feel free to post where you are going, and I can add you to the list for whichever server.
ill probaly wind up going with fima/bardo/kahoona cuz im in their pvp squad :P

Swanea
Private
Private

Unread post by Swanea » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:40 pm

deecon wrote:
Swanea wrote:Anyways, Since I am not choosing for anyone, or deciding what groups do what or anything like that, Ill make a list of the groups/people and what server/server type they are playing on. I think its going to make the game quite a bit less fun broken up so much, but, whatever tickles your pickle.

ILL UPDATE THIS AS I FIND THINGS OUT!!!!

Krytical + AoD + Other people from horde
???? - Open

ill probaly wind up going with fima/bardo/kahoona cuz im in their pvp squad :P
K carebare.

Issu
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Issu » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:23 am

SWAN YOU NEED TO GET IN TOUCH WITH MEEEEEEEEE
-=Who I is=-
Iszu - Night Elf Druid(Azgalor)
Issuu - Gnome Warlock(Azgalor)
Jake - Mexican Student(Life)

sylvester
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by sylvester » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:40 am

It is kind of odd that they are going on a RP server. I'm already getting a headache thinking about gReEN SkiNS TaLKInG LiKe ThIs.

Swanea
Private
Private

Unread post by Swanea » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:50 am

Issu wrote:SWAN YOU NEED TO GET IN TOUCH WITH MEEEEEEEEE
You know how to email me, message me on msn, or send me a pm on one of the 400 or so forums I visit. So. cry more.
Newb.

Kahoona
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Kahoona » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:33 am

sylvester wrote:It is kind of odd that they are going on a RP server. I'm already getting a headache thinking about gReEN SkiNS TaLKInG LiKe ThIs.
According to Bardo, there are some good Daoc guilds going to Phoenix Throne.

Saltshakaar
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Saltshakaar » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:28 pm

like i said, i vote for no RP.

pooka-Mishipeshu
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by pooka-Mishipeshu » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:02 pm

Saltshakaar wrote:like i said, i vote for no RP.
I've been playing on Phoenix Throne all day and have yet to encounter a single person who is RPing. And yeah apparently all the really good DaOC peeps went here half order half destruction. So it should be a well balanced server of good guilds/alliances. Time will tell though...

boscolio
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by boscolio » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:11 am

what's up guys. i'm stealing some notes from Jammal of BOT (that he stole from other people) on open vs core servers. ultimately it's why both BOT and DV decided to go Core.
"The only difference between Core and Open servers are that on the Core ones your not flagged for RvR inside your camps. However, in the Tier 4 zones the percentage of a territory where you are not automatically flagged for RvR is VERY small. So really the benefit of being on an Open server is a very small one given that you're only gaining RvR flag terrains at a small amount for the Tier you'll be doing most of your RvR in.

The drawback however is that the chance of griefing and being unable to help your guildmates with something lower is bigger than that small amount of territory for RvR flagging.

Core would seem to be the better server ruleset. Mythic has never really done much with their "Open PvP servers" either, going back to DAOC. Those died faster than any other servers in the game."
First off, there are workable reasons to roll ORvR, don't get me wrong- but the majority of the ones I hear here don't apply to WAR.

1. Increased PvP skill due to fighting while leveling ("makes you a better PvPer"). This one makes no sense. You don't have to level in PvE (In fact, you'll be spending a LOT of time doing PvP since you get XP from it), and you won't often run into enemy players anyways out side of RvR anyways from what I've seen. Most importantly, you'll only have increased experience fighting in 1v1 or very small encounters- exactly the opposite of actual RvR, so it's useless.

2. More RvR. If anything, the opposite will be true. There might be a slight increase in 1v1/small group encounters, at the cost of having fewer people in actual RvR locations. Besides people, over 80% of content at T4 is reportedly RvR zoned anyways.

3. Optional flag ruins spontaneous PvP. It's my understanding that spontaneous PvP is precisely what RvR already encourages. If you need to change the ruleset for this, then something is wrong with RvR.

4. Danger sense - no death penalty kind of hoses this one outright. Beyond that though, think about it: Many of the kinds of people who would give you a good fight in an FFA/Sandbox game are not the kinds rolling on ORvR here. Just keep that in mind.

5. Seeing unflagged enemies makes you angry. This is one of the only even remotely legit arguments for rolling on ORvR, and imo, it's not a very strong one since the pairings are effectively (though not actually) split to begin with. Also, the quip about over 80% of content @T4 being RvR is valid here too.
5b. Don't like enemies taunting without ability to kill them - IMO, this applies a lot better to FFA games, there will always be players you want to kill on your own side too, but as faction vs faction goes, this one is actually somewhat legit, the most of any reason I've heard so far. I still don't think it's a very strong one considering that 80% of content is RvR at T4, and the game isn't sandbox, etc.

6. Want as little PvE as possible - There is nothing on Core preventing this that wouldn't also apply to an ORvR server.

7. I want to gank for reason X/Y/Z - For good or ill, ganking is not going to be part of WAR, ORvR or not. Frankly, I'm fine with that since ganking is just stupid in level-based MMOs, and only works well as PKing in non-level-based games like EVE, UO, etc. Granted, it's great in those kinds of games. WAR isn't one of them.

8. Provocation for PvP - It's not like there's any shortage of PvP due to RvR as it stands already, and if there is, something is wrong with the game, not the ruleset.

9. Community misconceptions mean only casuals will be on Core - Sadly, this one is also semi-legit, but it's the fault of the community if its the case, not the game's. Even so, a great deal of PvP guilds (are there any other kinds in a game like WAR?) will be on Core anyways, looks around for some polls.
Volkmar also has some very strong order guilds on it and so far is the most evenly distributed of the servers.

mythic built this game around a core rule set anyway. open rvr feels a little tacked on. plus it's the type of server that attracts pvp kiddies. keeping the chicken mechanic the way it is combined with no bolster buff in rvr lakes sort of screws everything up too. it guarantees fewer tier 3 players in tier 3 rvr zones because of the tier 4 players rolling through. that also means fewer tier 4 players (fewer scenarios too) in tier 4 zones as a result. at rank 12 you'll be getting ganked by rank 30 nerd raging high schoolers. the tier 2 zones will be owned by tier 3 players so forget about contributing anything there either. you'd better do all your exploring as you level because you won't be able to take your character back to tier 1 or 2. even if all that doesn't happen you'll still be a rank 12 up against rank 21's in rvr lakes with no bolster buff to help.

if anyone wants to roll this way you'll most likely have a home in DV.

boscolio - shaman
Digital Villains on the Volkmar server
I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself.

reija
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by reija » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:23 am

Someone tell me where and which faction to roll so I'll have some people to talk to before I decide the game is boring and stop playing it just like AoC.

Kahoona
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Kahoona » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:39 am

Phoenix Throne Destruction.

pooka-Mishipeshu
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by pooka-Mishipeshu » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:13 am

Kahoona wrote:Phoenix Throne Destruction.

Hodd
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Hodd » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:25 pm

pooka-Mishipeshu wrote:
RD's carebear

deecon
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Unread post by deecon » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:22 pm