Server

Because AoC sucks.

Moderator: pooka-Mishipeshu

Swanea
Private
Private

Server

Unread post by Swanea » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:27 am

Well, after talking to Krytical, kahoona, fima, and a few others, and them talking to others!

It seems that Bardo wants to roll on a RP<-----Core server. To stay away from the "l33t kids"................Which, is just mind bottling. Supposedly a large number of horde are following him.

While Krytical wants to roll on an Open realm server. The AoD people.

And most of the people here wish to roll on a PvE I mean core server.

I dont know what to do really. It seems to me, no matter what happens, everyone that was planning on playing together is going to be extremely broken up into small groups. I really dont understand playing on an RP PvE server...At all. While the chicken thingy isnt the best, You are basically rolling a PvE realm, where when you see someone, unless its at a BO, you can carebare it up with them. Granted I know RD is totally directed towards PvE, but this game is about pvp.

I wont be choosing a server to start a guild on for others. I will just post what servers they are rolling on.

Fairly large disappointment in all this.

deecon
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Re: Server

Unread post by deecon » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:10 am

Swanea wrote:Well, after talking to Krytical, kahoona, fima, and a few others, and them talking to others!

It seems that Bardo wants to roll on a RP<-----Core server. To stay away from the "l33t kids"................Which, is just mind bottling. Supposedly a large number of horde are following him.

While Krytical wants to roll on an Open realm server. The AoD people.

And most of the people here wish to roll on a PvE I mean core server.

I dont know what to do really. It seems to me, no matter what happens, everyone that was planning on playing together is going to be extremely broken up into small groups. I really dont understand playing on an RP PvE server...At all. While the chicken thingy isnt the best, You are basically rolling a PvE realm, where when you see someone, unless its at a BO, you can carebare it up with them. Granted I know RD is totally directed towards PvE, but this game is about pvp.

I wont be choosing a server to start a guild on for others. I will just post what servers they are rolling on.

Fairly large disappointment in all this.
fuck pve in war. who the hell cares about turning into a chicken. its fairly easy to level in the game. while i can find pvp wherever instead of confined areas. open all the way.

i could either A) help my lowbie friends level, or B) go gank someone leveling their friendly lowbies.

hrmmmmmmmmmmm

Tre
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Tre » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:27 am

What does this chicken thing mean?
NIXON'S BACK!

Swanea
Private
Private

Unread post by Swanea » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:02 am

Tre wrote:What does this chicken thing mean?
If you go to a zone that is 2 tiers lower, ie you are 22 and go to the level 1-11 zone, you get turned into a chicken. You have 1hp? and do 1 damage per attack.

I understand the point, that if you wish to go play with friends, or keep them from getting ganked. But it means anytime you see anyone from the other side, you cant touch them UNLESS they flag. IE PvE realms in wow.

Fima said that bardo wants to do ONLY RP PVE to stay away from the kids. I guess he is planning on doing only PQs to 40 or something. I dunno...Seems silly to me that guilds and players so focused on pvp, want to be on a server that doesnt promote pvp.

pooka-Mishipeshu
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by pooka-Mishipeshu » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:32 am

Hmm well it seems whichever we choose people have such strong feelings one way or another that someone I would like to play with won't join us. As I said earlier I could go either way -although I really hadn't even considered the whole RP thing... that IS an unexpected twist.

My main concern with the open realm, as I noted earlier, is that I don't think the classes are made for 1v1 -but hey I'll just make a char that's more likely to survive 1v1 instead of one that won' t if that's where we go (though I would also expect most of the server to do the same). From what I've read this game (and the character balance) was created with the Core rules in mind and the Open realm idea has been less thought out.

On the other hand although I don't go ganking people there is something gratifying about helping out your friends and grouping up to take down enemy players as well as quests and being able to kill an opposing member whenever you see them. A lot of the PQs are set up so that in an Open server you'd be killing just as many players as you would NPCs to get the thing done -and there is a certain element of fun there. Plus if questing solo sucks at least you can level purely through pvp so it doesn't really matter all that much...

I'll follow the majority here but it would also be nice to know what servers other people are on so that people can make toons there as well if they want.

I''ll be really sad if I don't get to play with you swan (and all the other Apex peeps)...

/torn

Oh and as far as i understand it the 8-9 CE people will go wherever just so that they all stay together

pooka-Mishipeshu
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by pooka-Mishipeshu » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:52 am

It just occurred to me that if we all compromised we'd end up on a RP-PVP server o.0

Rubix
Private
Private

Unread post by Rubix » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:30 am

We have spent far too long not killing stuff together pouka that Ill follow you and Biz wherever you go!

Biztrix
Private
Private

Unread post by Biztrix » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:38 am

I'm not sure i understand Swan, how does playing on a CORE server not mean PVP? PVP is the point of the game, and ya, that's why i'm gonna play WAR. Random 1-on-1 Pvp and ganking is not the point.. and that's the only benfit i see from Open servers..

Not that i really care, i'll play whatever, i just don't see the positives of playing an Open server atm

sylvester
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by sylvester » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:24 am

Swanea wrote:
Tre wrote:What does this chicken thing mean?
If you go to a zone that is 2 tiers lower, ie you are 22 and go to the level 1-11 zone, you get turned into a chicken. You have 1hp? and do 1 damage per attack.

I understand the point, that if you wish to go play with friends, or keep them from getting ganked. But it means anytime you see anyone from the other side, you cant touch them UNLESS they flag. IE PvE realms in wow.

Fima said that bardo wants to do ONLY RP PVE to stay away from the kids. I guess he is planning on doing only PQs to 40 or something. I dunno...Seems silly to me that guilds and players so focused on pvp, want to be on a server that doesnt promote pvp.
Have you even played the game?

The entire preview weekend while playing on a CORE server we did nothing but take over keeps and pvp the entire time, and it was a blast. Core is the way this game was ment to be played. They didn't even have an OPEN rule set made out, which is why it wasn't available on the first preview weekend. Comparing a PvE server in WoW to a Core server in WAR is so totally wrong it is ridiculous.

tyen
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by tyen » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:30 am

The chicken thing is why I voted for Open.
I remember that during launch of WoW, my friends and I joined Azgalor essentially because we were a TFC guild before (another mod for Half-Life)... we like the prospect of PvP and working together in a pack (or squad) to level... Well what really put a hamper on that in WoW was that if we leveled slower than those that could play 24/7 on launch (and we did level slower), we'd be hunted down by them once they got to 60 and had nothing to do but run around and gank. STV was particularly bad at launch for this...
The chicken thing would completely prevent this.

Now of course the PvE server would prevent this too... but I also like the aspect of always having to watch my back. Just in this case it will be a matter of they really have to get the jump on me because I will be at least capable of defending myself or running, etc. Or I really have to get the jump on them for the same reasons. That seems wicked fun... but so far in the Open Beta I can see the focus has been on the scenarios and scripted mass PvP anyway...

I will not decide the server... Leveling with others I know is even more important than all that. I can have fun on any of the server types. Be cautioned though... if we do a RP server I am going to vote for a pirate theme guild just so I can constantly say "Yar" and stuff in game :shock: :D

Kahoona
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Kahoona » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:42 pm

deecon wrote: or B) go gank someone leveling their friendly lowbies.

hrmmmmmmmmmmm
Um, no you can't because you'll be a chicken...

chives
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by chives » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:05 pm

Kahoona wrote:

hrmmmmmmmmmmm
Right, the only benefit I see of open is attacking things equal to your level, but you can go into a scenario and level that way and wait all of a minute to get in. I don't really care about either, but if you get turned into a chicken when you go into two tiers below, then essentially you won't be able to help level your lowbie friends (or get pl another char). Is that how it works?

Also, do those guys actually plan on RP'ing, because if they weren't it wouldn't be bad if you constantly had enough people on at one time that weren't talking like they were their chars like what would happen if you grouped up with randoms

Kahoona
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Kahoona » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:07 pm

chives wrote:
Kahoona wrote:

hrmmmmmmmmmmm
Right, the only benefit I see of open is attacking things equal to your level, but you can go into a scenario and level that way and wait all of a minute to get in. I don't really care about either, but if you get turned into a chicken when you go into two tiers below, then essentially you won't be able to help level your lowbie friends (or get pl another char). Is that how it works?

Also, do those guys actually plan on RP'ing, because if they weren't it wouldn't be bad if you constantly had enough people on at one time that weren't talking like they were their chars like what would happen if you grouped up with randoms
People seem to think role playing servers are like LARP, but they really aren't...sure theres the occasional creep that does it but the majority of the server doesn't.

pooka-Mishipeshu
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by pooka-Mishipeshu » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:17 pm

Kahoona wrote:

hrmmmmmmmmmmm
Well since you can go one tier down except for tier 1 he could go gank level 12s when he is level 32 if I understand correctly

Swanea
Private
Private

Unread post by Swanea » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:29 pm

Except that unless you are in a pvp zone, which is about 1/8th? to maybe 1/5th or less of every total zones area, you are not flagged.

In later tiers, both sides will have PQs from the same area. Like the Dwarf/GS one. YOu have to kill 50 Dwarfs, they have to kill 50 GS. First side to do it wins.

On a core server, all you can do is hope they have less people in that PQ so you can kill the NPCs first. If not, all you can do is sit and watch them win.

There was nothing more fun in my book, than when leveling all out by yourself to get attacked by a random person. Or running up to someone standing out their by yourself.

Did I PvP a lot o nthe core server? Of course. But not once did I see an order person Flagged outside of the pvp area. I generally kept myself flagged too. Unless T3/4 are entirely pvp zones, I just think it will be quite a bit less fun.

While I think its pretty silly that people do not want to play on a PvP server, I want to play with my friends.

But, I really do not care to play on an RP PvE server. Thats....Just wow.