How big will instancing be in this game

Because AoC sucks.

Moderator: pooka-Mishipeshu

Pa
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

How big will instancing be in this game

Unread post by Pa » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:04 pm

This is what turns me away from mmo's lately. It doesnt feel like a world with thousands of people in it at the same time when there's too much instancing. Multiple copys of the same places like in conan are a game killer to me. Does anyone know how big of a role instancing will play.

ikao@
Guild Member
Guild Member

Re: How big will instancing be in this game

Unread post by ikao@ » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:37 pm

Pa wrote:This is what turns me away from mmo's lately. It doesnt feel like a world with thousands of people in it at the same time when there's too much instancing. Multiple copys of the same places like in conan are a game killer to me. Does anyone know how big of a role instancing will play.

This game is def more like WoW, and far from being the instance suckage that was AoC (from what i hear, never played the game)

Hodd
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Hodd » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:27 am

Pa wrote:This is what turns me away from mmo's lately. It doesnt feel like a world with thousands of people in it at the same time when there's too much instancing. Multiple copys of the same places like in conan are a game killer to me. Does anyone know how big of a role instancing will play.

very little instancing i would link it but in a time crunch just trust me 8)
RD's carebear

tyen
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by tyen » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:10 am

ikao@ wrote:

This game is def more like WoW, and far from being the instance suckage that was AoC (from what i hear, never played the game)

And btw - Many of the AoC instances were different than you might be thinking in WoW.

In WoW they're high level places where you organize groups together, etc.

In AoC you could be running along and have a quest to clear out some cave. Well the cave is not like some place in WoW where you just run right into it... in AoC it's an instance that only you'll be in. You run in... wait for a loading screen... run in... kill your spiders! Run out... wait for a loading screen... then run back. It really slowed down the pace of the game quite frankly. Although I used it a couple times to my advantage... the spiders can't follow you of the instance - heal up then run back in >.<

Kahoona
Knight
Knight

Unread post by Kahoona » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:17 am

They have the community instances like AoC did, but they're better and actually require groups...similar to Death Watch Bunker in SWG.

pooka-Mishipeshu
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by pooka-Mishipeshu » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:31 am

Found this thought it was interesting:

We also had a chance to take a peek at some of the lair areas that will be hidden throughout the game. These will be out-of-the-way areas where exceptionally powerful and rare foes hide out of plain sight and guard exceptionally powerful loot. We had a chance to see two such lairs; the first was hidden on the border of a competitive realm-versus-realm zone (where players from different factions can freely clash with each other) and was locked away behind a stone gate, outside of which were various shaped stones embedded into the earth just in front of the entrance. The door itself will be locked, and the flat, ground-level stones arranged in a ring around the entrance apparently represent a puzzle that you will need to solve to open the gate. Another lair was hidden in a remote corner of a misty river basin that seemed mostly deserted and was separated by a small set of foothills. However, persistent players who explore every inch of the area may discover the means to climb up the first set of foothills to discover that a set of fallen logs lead the way to a row of shattered tree stumps that can be crossed with well-placed jumps that lead to a final hidden path to the lair of a mighty and ancient foe who summons backup to defend its treasure. Yes, Warhammer Online will have a jumping puzzle.

However, none of the game's lairs will have any kind of duplicate content or puzzles, so there will be no one-size-fits-all solution to unlock all of them. Though Mythic was gracious enough to show the entrances to two of these lairs, the studio was understandably reluctant to comment about the number and location of them in the game. There will, however, be "more than 20" lairs hidden throughout the world, and in addition to offering the opportunity to fight a unique enemy and win an exceptionally powerful weapon or item, finding lair locations will unlock sections of your "tome of knowledge," Warhammer Online's in-game journal. Players who enjoy exploring will definitely be rewarded for their troubles when they discover lairs, but the hidden enemies that lurk within will generally be exceptionally strong, and a stout group of adventurers will usually be required to conquer them.

Arakthor
Guild Officer
Guild Officer

Unread post by Arakthor » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:28 pm

Instances are a good thing if used correctly. Otherwise you get the clusterfuck that was EQ/AC.
The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

... and I'll look down, and whisper "No."

http://watchmenmovie.warnerbros.com/

pooka-Mishipeshu
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by pooka-Mishipeshu » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:07 am

I have yet to encounter an instance in this game... when do they come into play? Are they later on or did I just miss them?

Edit:
Ok I found a whole bunch of instances in the inevitable city. I walked into a few but the mobs were all level 40 or above and I either got one shotted or ran out hehe. There were also level 55 champion beasties and such around there. I noticed that working up to level 40 you can get good gear from PQs (sometimes better than renown gear), at level 40 are there PQs that will give gear as good as level 70 renown rewards or is this where the intancing comes into play?