BCS Championship

Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Warning stuff here may be NSFW
tyen
Guild Member
Guild Member

BCS Championship

Unread post by tyen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:39 pm

Honestly have a bad feeling about what will happen for OSU tonight... Maybe I’ll eat my words upon seeing the game, but I doubt it.
I think Texas got screwed out of BCS championship contention. Plus the Utah situation has be thinking now more than ever there needs to be a playoff.

Where is the fault in this system:
Playoff between the top eight ranked teams. Make the Rose, Orange, Fiesta and Sugar Bowls the first round of playoffs. All the other minor bowls, play them as normal. Teams advance, etc. in a bracket. It would take three weeks since there are three levels in the bracket. The other bowl games can be scheduled around the playoff games during that same time span, etc.

Now here is the trick: Because I recognize the argument about the money that having separate bowl games gives to the schools involved… pool the proceeds from the entire playoff system and then redistribute it after all is said and done – weighted towards those that advance further of course, but also giving some to the minor bowl winners. You play for and win a larger percentage of the pool if you win + national recognition for your program.
Also, have as many bowls as you want I guess (there were 32 this year), but only 8 of them will get proceeds from the playoff system… why?
Because four bowls are in the playoff system, plus eight means 12 bowls for a total of 24 teams. Most ranking systems only go up to top-25. Top 24 ranked teams play in those bowls that get a share of the pot. Only winners in the minor bowl games get the money though. Both programs get national recognition however.

Done.
- Fans get to see a team like Utah which steps up in the rankings get a legit shot at Florida, Oklahoma or USC.
- Money is taken care of by pooling it and you don’t have a system that promotes grandfathering defunct programs into national recognition they don’t really deserve (cough, Notre Dame even if they did beat Hawaii… or how about Wisconsin? What did they do that deserves national recognition? How about Miami? Of course Cal beat them, they actually had a winning record).

This year would have went like this:

Code: Select all

Rose:   (1)Florida vs. (8)Texas Tech -------|
                                            |--------------|
Fiesta: (3)Texas vs. (6)Penn St.------------|              |
                                                           |------------------
Orange: (2)Oklahoma vs. (7)Utah    ---------|              |
                                            |--------------|
Sugar:  (4)Alabama vs. (5) USC  ------------|

Thoughts?

Tre
Guild Member
Guild Member

Re: BCS Championship

Unread post by Tre » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:36 pm

I am more upset that the fucking NFL Network bought the rights to show games such as the Insight Bowl, so I could not watch the Jayhawks destroy Minnesota.
NIXON'S BACK!

Jayhawk
Guild Member
Guild Member

Re: BCS Championship

Unread post by Jayhawk » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:40 pm

Tre wrote:I am more upset that the fucking NFL Network bought the rights to show games such as the Insight Bowl, so I could not watch the Jayhawks destroy Minnesota.
that was great