what happened to all the good games

Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Warning stuff here may be NSFW
Grappler
Grand Marshall
Grand Marshall

what happened to all the good games

Unread post by Grappler » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:15 am

games like tribes where it wasnt a normal fps but was superior to normal fps games in every way. Games like SC/BW that challenged your brain at how fast you could work and tech and micromanage.

Seems now that games like that are gone, all I see is the same FPS shit like fallout, crysis, fear, halflife.. im so sick of those games.. wow is the funnest game ive played since i started playing it. no game ive played since has been more fun....

wow really pisses me off sometimes, whenever i get into it i see all the flaws and back away..... iim getting bw again, im going to get tribes2 just to fuck around cause i didnt think t2 was that bad and t1 is just so damn old i couldnt handle it

Megelvagor
Guild Member
Guild Member

Re: what happened to all the good games

Unread post by Megelvagor » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:41 am

Grappler wrote:games like tribes where it wasnt a normal fps but was superior to normal fps games in every way. Games like SC/BW that challenged your brain at how fast you could work and tech and micromanage.

Seems now that games like that are gone, all I see is the same FPS shit like fallout, crysis, fear, halflife.. im so sick of those games.. wow is the funnest game ive played since i started playing it. no game ive played since has been more fun....

wow really pisses me off sometimes, whenever i get into it i see all the flaws and back away..... iim getting bw again, im going to get tribes2 just to fuck around cause i didnt think t2 was that bad and t1 is just so damn old i couldnt handle it
FPS are really over-rated. "Whoa, I get to pay 50 bucks for 10 hours of incredibly predictable, cliche story and a mediocre graphics engine. Now with uber-cool physix!" So many companies are cashing in on those games, mainly because FPS is the best genre to display the newest graphical technology.

But you're right, games as of late have been rather disappointing. There's a reason the only games I've bought in the last 3 years are WOW and it's expansions: most video games and their platforms just aren't worth the money. I'm not one of those assholes who says "Oh man, video games aren't what they used to be", because I think old video games suck ass too, and people who like them are simply reminiscing. For me, gaming really hit it's stride quality-wise in the late 90's and early turn of the millennium. N64 had a pretty sick game lineup with Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, Smash bros, and a few others. Morrowind and KOTOR were incredible games from 2001/02 (not many people are fans of Morrowind because of the lackluster combat, but besides the combat, I don't think I've seen a game with more effort put into it.). The original Halo was a fucking blast, and that was from 2001 as well. I played Starcraft a ton and think it's a cool game, and I know this is heresy on these forums with the (to put it lightly) avid SC players, I think it's a mediocre-at-best RTS. I like Ensemble and Westwood's RTS's better. (Yikes...)

Now, it's gaming is too main-stream and corporate, and the vast majority of games are cashing in on movie franchises, poor rehashes, or companies' attempts to make a quick buck off of whatever franchise they own. Look at EA: the 2k football games were so much better ( and 30 bucks cheaper) than Madden games that EA just fucking bought out the rights to the NFL. Even Smash Bros Brawl, my most beloved franchise ever, is incredibly dumbed-down and easy compared to the infinitely complex Smash bros melee.

It's late, and that response is way too long for the original post. But there's my rant about the current situation of video games. Flame on!

Jayhawk
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Jayhawk » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:22 am

Bit i dont think you really gave tf2 enough play time. its so damn fun. have you even played since they release all the new character content?

Jayhawk
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Jayhawk » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:23 am

oh and i do have to agree with you that there hasn't been very many excellent games lately

Boozer
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Boozer » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:35 am

Video games are goin down the shitter it seems. I swear every single company is just trying to develop the cash cow that blizzard did with WoW which means most major companies are probably developing a MMO at all times.

Diablo was one of the most amazing games I've ever played in my hole life. It had just enough lore in it to keep it interesting and it had a overall creepiness about it that no game has had since. The itemization of D1 was great too because it was just complex and random enough to make it interesting. I doubt I'll ever play another game that captured me like D1 did. Goldeneye for N64 was the most revolutionary FPS ever, it was an amazing game that I spent hours and hours and hours replaying the same levels over and over cause they were still fun no matter how many times you did em. Halflife was pobably the best FPS in the "Whoa, I get to pay 50 bucks for 10 hours of incredibly predictable, cliche story and a mediocre graphics engine. Now with uber-cool physix!" category, it was original, had a good story and the gameplay was fun, not to mention it produced CounterStrike which I Played religiously for about 2 years. SC/BW and even WC1&2 are the best RTS out there. They don't get all crazy with useless units like a lot of other ones did, they were extremely balanced through using completely different races with completely different play styles, I still play BW from time to time and I'm terrible nowadays. BF1942 and BF2 are awesome FPS games, BF1942 is a bit outdated graphically now but I play BF2 still. I hope so much that they come out with another of the BF franchise in the WW2 theater, BF1942 was so much fun.

Sightlessss
Knight-Captain
Knight-Captain

Unread post by Sightlessss » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:29 am

I think most fun in FPS comes from online play, the competition to be "the best" keeps me interested much longer than any of the story lines.
:roll: