Golden Globe Nominations

Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Warning stuff here may be NSFW
Guild Member
Guild Member

Golden Globe Nominations

Unread post by tyen » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:27 am

These are pitiful... and in hindsight what a crappy set of movies we had this year overall.

For starters Dark Knight has only one nomination… that’s Heath Ledger as Joker for Best Supporting Actor.

Based on the others listed, it will be a crime if he does not get that… for example also nominated for Best Supporting Actor: Tom Cruise for his role in Tropic Thunder (I remember I paused the show to see it was him… he did well, I am just amazed because that role was basically just a cameo honestly).

Best Actor, Drama: Never saw a single movie in the list of those nominated and never ever had interest in seeing any of them either.
Best Actress, Drama: Ditto
Best Director: Ditto
Best screenplay: Ditto
Best Actor, Comedy or Musical: James Franco, Pineapple Express… that’s the only movie I saw from the bunch… if only I knew which guy Franco was.
Best Actress, Comedy or Musical: Meryl Streep, Mama Mia! I did want to see that… never heard of the other movies listed.
Best television series, Drama: The only one on the list I have heard of is House.
Best Animated Feature Film: It’s sad that this is the category that contains the most movies overall I saw previews for and was curious about? It includes all the Computer animated movies, like Wall-E

All that, and I think Heath Ledger should get best Actor, not Supporting Actor too.

So anyway… wow. ... _2009.html

Guild Member
Guild Member

Re: Golden Globe Nominations

Unread post by reija » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:29 pm

All of those award ceremonies (Golden Globes, Academy Awards, etc) have been a joke for as long as I can remember. There have been quite a few years where I've seen incredible performances in action movies, comedies and the like but they're never nominated for best of anything. It's always the Dramas that get the "best of" and not the ones that actually deserve it.

I haven't seen the nominations but if what you say about Tom Cruise getting best supporting for Tropic Thunder... WHAT THE FUCK...? It was a bit part and (as you said) a cameo, it's not worthy of an award. Especially when you consider that Heath Ledger's joker and the Tom Cruise part are competing for the same category. They're not even in the same LEAGUE much less the same category.

I haven't watched any of those shows in years and I guess it's time to continue the tradition.

Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Boozer » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:24 am

Weeds all the way, though I haven't seen Californication and I hear that's pretty good.

Mary Louise-Parker all the way.

Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Megelvagor » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:30 am

This year's movie selection blew ass.

And these independent, small-time studio movies usually win all, or most of, these awards any way. These rating organizations seem to love them.