When it comes to crooked politics...

Stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Warning stuff here may be NSFW
Boozer
Guild Member
Guild Member

When it comes to crooked politics...

Unread post by Boozer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:02 pm

it just doesn't get any more crooked than Illinois, and more specifically Chicago. The same political machine responsible for our president elect. Yay change!!

boscolio
Guild Member
Guild Member

Re: When it comes to crooked politics...

Unread post by boscolio » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:08 pm

true, except that obama has been recorded as refusing the play blago's "pay for play" system of political favors. obama won't get touched for this, but mayor daley is definitely up next. he's never been directly linked with anything but just every branch of government under him has had controversy.

30 years of crooked governors in illinois. chicago/illinois has always had the most corrupt local politics of any state
I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut itself.

Megelvagor
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Megelvagor » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:33 am

Obama and Uncle Rod were BEST pals. They did everything together! Good conclusion.

Tre
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Tre » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:54 am

This is just one more reason to hate people from Chicago.
NIXON'S BACK!

tyen
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by tyen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:38 am

Well they need to figure out what to do with the issue that this mayor can still appoint whoever he wants despite being in jail...
That's the item that's most disturbing right now.
What this guy tried to do, essentially selling a senate seat is pretty damn corrupt.
I think the question ultimately regarding Obama is simply this: If this same senate seat that Obama held is being sold, was it sold before to Obama or parties interested in having Obama as senator before?
It's not an unreasonable question and must be investigated.
You have to know the history to be able to completely remove the corruption.

Trebor
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Trebor » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:52 am

tyen wrote:Well they need to figure out what to do with the issue that this mayor can still appoint whoever he wants despite being in jail...
What this guy tried to do, essentially selling a senate seat is pretty damn corrupt.
I think the question ultimately regarding Obama is simply this: If this same senate seat that Obama held is being sold, was it sold before to Obama or parties interested in having Obama as senator before?
Obama was elected to the Senate, not appointed by the Governor. How could he have possibly bought his way in?

tyen
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by tyen » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:00 am

Trebor wrote:
tyen wrote:Well they need to figure out what to do with the issue that this mayor can still appoint whoever he wants despite being in jail...
Obama was elected to the Senate, not appointed by the Governor. How could he have possibly bought his way in?
You're right. I realized that just now and came back to correct it :)
In any case, being able to appoint whoever he wants while in jail is disturbing.
I hope it doesn't drag out where he appoints some guy, that person is investigated and then later recalled.
Man... that would drag out forever :/

Trebor
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Trebor » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:23 am

tyen wrote:
Trebor wrote:
You're right. I realized that just now and came back to correct it :)
In any case, being able to appoint whoever he wants while in jail is disturbing.
I hope it doesn't drag out where he appoints some guy, that person is investigated and then later recalled.
Man... that would drag out forever :/
What's going on w/ Biden's Senate seat? Last thing I read about it, he was drawing out so that the new Governor is in office before he steps down...supposedly wants his son to take the seat and might have some influence w/ the new Governor.

Chown
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Chown » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:10 pm

While he could technically still appoint someone to fill the senate seat, you really don't have anything to worry about Tyen. First, it is highly unlikely that someone would accept an appointment to the senate from a governor that has had federal corruption charges brought against them. The circumstances surrounding someone who did would doom their political future forever. Even if the governor did appoint someone and they accepted, the Senate could refuse to seat them. The State General Assembly is holding a special session on Monday, and if for some reason the Governor hasn't resigned by then they will probably start impeachment proceedings against him.

Akarat
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Akarat » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:21 pm

Chown wrote:While he could technically still appoint someone to fill the senate seat, you really don't have anything to worry about Tyen. First, it is highly unlikely that someone would accept an appointment to the senate from a governor that has had federal corruption charges brought against them. The circumstances surrounding someone who did would doom their political future forever. Even if the governor did appoint someone and they accepted, the Senate could refuse to seat them. The State General Assembly is holding a special session on Monday, and if for some reason the Governor hasn't resigned by then they will probably start impeachment proceedings against him.
Isn't the Illinois legislature in recess though?

I don't know anything about how the Illinois government works, but doesn't the legislature carry out the impeachment trial?

If you give Akarat an Arcane Crystal, he's going to ask for a transmute.
Get in the van, I have crystals!
I'm in ur zone, minin' ur crystalz
http://ctprofiles.net/2479534

Boozer
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Boozer » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:25 pm

Akarat wrote:
Chown wrote:While he could technically still appoint someone to fill the senate seat, you really don't have anything to worry about Tyen. First, it is highly unlikely that someone would accept an appointment to the senate from a governor that has had federal corruption charges brought against them. The circumstances surrounding someone who did would doom their political future forever. Even if the governor did appoint someone and they accepted, the Senate could refuse to seat them. The State General Assembly is holding a special session on Monday, and if for some reason the Governor hasn't resigned by then they will probably start impeachment proceedings against him.

I don't know anything about how the Illinois government works, but doesn't the legislature carry out the impeachment trial?
Chown wrote:The State General Assembly is holding a special session on Monday

Boozer
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Boozer » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:33 pm

Megelvagor wrote:Obama and Uncle Rod were BEST pals. They did everything together! Good conclusion.
That's definitly not what I said. I only commented that this is a shining example of the corruption in the political system (which is known far and wide to be so) from which our president elect comes.

I would also point out that it is my belief that the main reason that Ted Stevens ran for his seat in the last election was to be a place holder till he was finally forced out by his corruption charges so that Palin could appoint his replacement instead of giving it away to a democrat in the election, which of course is what happened anyway. This is just how our political system is functioning which is exactly why I'm against the kind of big government that liberals like Obama, Pelosi and Reid plan to implement. Change we can believe in.

Akarat
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Akarat » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:22 am

Boozer wrote:
Akarat wrote:

Chown wrote:The State General Assembly is holding a special session on Monday
:oops:

If you give Akarat an Arcane Crystal, he's going to ask for a transmute.
Get in the van, I have crystals!
I'm in ur zone, minin' ur crystalz
http://ctprofiles.net/2479534