Nerf Ret

Public discussion forum
Megelvagor
Guild Member
Guild Member

Nerf Ret

Unread post by Megelvagor » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:25 am

http://www.arenajunkies.com/showthread.php?t=46965

Ret pallies were there, I guess...Nothing is wrong with the rest of this.

Nerf ret.

traveler
Grand Marshall
Grand Marshall

Re: Nerf Ret

Unread post by traveler » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:44 pm

Druids have been the best overall healer for arenas for a long time now. That doesn't mean certain comps with Priests, Paladins and Shaman aren't viable. Your logic is terrible.

For the record, I'm not screaming nerf Ret. Priests can still fag them so I don't care atm. That plus my Ret Paladin / Warrior / Shadow Priest / Holy Priest / Resto Druid team is wrecking everything.

Megelvagor
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Megelvagor » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:02 pm

I didn't even say anything about druids...

Am I missing something here?

traveler
Grand Marshall
Grand Marshall

Unread post by traveler » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:47 pm

Megelvagor wrote:I didn't even say anything about druids...

Am I missing something here?
Yes. I assumed you were sarcastically implying that because many of the teams at ESL didn't include a Ret Paladin, including the finals between two PMR teams, Ret Paladins didn't need to be nerfed. It looked like the ESL teams somehow meant Ret isn't overpowered after all. I'm saying that just because Ret Paladins don't put a monopoly on the viable composition market doesn't mean they still aren't entirely over powered. My example was Druids; they have been the 'most overpowered' healing class for a long time now. But just because they didn't dominate all other compositions 100% of the time doesn't mean they're somehow on par with a Shaman healer.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your post for something else. You're typically sarcastic, so I assumed sarcasm here and may be mistaken.

Megelvagor
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Megelvagor » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:14 pm

I understand now.

You have a valid point.

However, if arena representation doesn't determine the power of a class, what does? (I'll attempt to debate this without conveying any sarcasm whatsoever, so that the debate stays legitimate and no one gets offended. I hope I can do it. )

traveler
Grand Marshall
Grand Marshall

Unread post by traveler » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:05 pm

Arena representation is counted, and it's currently slanted in the Ret Paladin's favor. It's hard to use ESL as reference because the people playing in that are on a level all of their own and are capable of doing things that 95% of WoW players couldn't ever do (that's why they're at ESL and have sponsors, etc). It's like Lipstick and Looped on Ruin. They took the most ridiculous composition ever to number 1 in 2's simply because they're a level above everyone else.

There are a lot of stories floating around right now about Ret Paladin dominance in Arenas. Apparently on SK Gaming there's an article about a kid who was 1450 on his Paladin and ran him all the way up to 2200 in a day. That setup I mentioned we're running shouldn't succeed, but we're dominating everyone (something like 40-2) because of that Ret Paladin. He puts out tons of damage, can effectively heal when necessary, and has 2 oh shit buttons. A Ret Paladin won't single handedly make a team invincible as we've run over countless teams with Ret Paladins, but they bring so much to the table that they turn a seemingly awful composition into an amazing one.

I just want to clarify, I do think Ret Paladins are a step above related classes, but they're not immortal by any means. I don't think they should be nerfed into the ground and thus put back to where they were before because they were too weak in Arenas pre-3.0. Rather, something should change to make them just as viable as a Rogue or a Warrior, no less and no more.

I'd also point out that most of those ESL teams were setup long before 3.0 came out. In watching a lot of the interviews, many of the players are upset about the imbalance of the tournament because they were unable to work a Ret Paladin into their composition, practice with a Ret Paladin as part of their composition, or practice against other compositions that included a Ret Paladin. Some teams gave using a Ret Paladin a go anyway, but were beaten because they had never practiced playing as or with a Ret Paladin ever before. Nihilum Plasma forfeited the entire tournament because none of them could play a Ret Paladin.

So, my conclusion is that a lot of those teams would have played a setup that included a Ret Paladin had they been given enough time (months, on their standards) to practice with one. Be it that they weren't they gave it their best shot with their regular setup.

Jayhawk
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Jayhawk » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:49 pm

no idea whats going on in here

traveler
Grand Marshall
Grand Marshall

Unread post by traveler » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:40 am

Jayhawk wrote:no idea whats going on in here
Clown show is that way

Boozer
Guild Member
Guild Member

Unread post by Boozer » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:07 pm

Jayhawk wrote:no idea whats going on in here
basically if you were still playing your charachter would be > any other class by a significant margin. Remember how you were kinda pissed at how shitty your pally was at killin shit. Well that's been changed completely and my paladin with mostly healing gear equipped, only a few damage pieces can kill mobs faster than my hunter that has way way way way better gear.